Pages

Aug 28, 2012

Keerai Poriyal / Spinach Stir-fry!!!

Hi guys!!!

I am trying to use spinach atleast once a week. The problem with cooking spinach for my husband is that he can only have it in the completely smashed form. That leaves me with just very few options. I, personally love the stir-fry version and just 'coz I am too lazy to go through the trouble of preparing a dish just for me, this dish has always been less frequented.

The spinach stir-fry can be prepared in 2 ways. One, using grated coconut and the other using moong dal and no coconut. I love the coconut method. Most of the Indian spinach varieties are great for this dish. I have also tried the Baby Spinach I see here in the supermarkets and they turned out good too.

Now lets see the recipe.

Ingredients:

Spinach(Any variety) - a bunch
Onion - 1
Green chillies - 1
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Fennel powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - as per taste
Grated coconut - 1/4 cup
Oil - 2 tbsp



Procedure:

1. Wash and dry the spinach leaves. Chop them roughly and keep it ready.
2. Heat the oil in a deep wide vessel. When the oil turns hot add the chopped onions and chillies. Saute till the onion turns soft.
3. Now add the chopped spinach leaves and saute till the leaves start to wilt. Close the lid and cook for another 5 minutes till all moisture is shed by the leaves.
4. Add the masala powders and salt and mix well. Finally add the grated coconut and mix well. Switch off heat when the raw smell of the masala powders leave.

Serve with rice and dal / sambar!!!

1 comment:

  1. super healthy and easy keerai fry
    Great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...